Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Year of the Dragon


So here's the last piece for the Chinese Zodiac show. It's the same size as the year of the Tiger. 10x24 inches. It was hard not to think of Bruce Lee while painting this. Not only was he already a bad ass, but his sign is Year of the Dragon. That makes him a SUPREME BAD ASS, for all eternity! Now for the segue rant:

You'd think, that in the city that Bruce Lee is buried in, he'd have a statue for all the amazing achievements he made in the short amount of time he was with us. Something to honor that. In the 16(ish) years I've lived hear, I don't think I've ever heard anything about a statue, or a plan to make this happen. Did I miss something? Where did Bruce Lee start his martial art schools? Seattle. Where did he go to college? Seattle. What city did he keep coming back to? Seattle. Where the hell is this guy's statue? Seriously! What happened? Hendrix finally got one. In 2002. (took long enough) After doing a quick search, even that statue was put together by a private company, not the city.

The thing that got me thinking about this again, was recently seeing some billboards around town that were trying to raise money for another local "celeb". It seems people want to raise money for J.P. Patches' 50th anniversary. For those reading this that didn't grow up in the North West, like myself, JP is/was the Northwest version of Bozo the clown, from what I can gather. I mean that in clown terms, not as a slight towards JP.

Anyway, let's break it down, shall we? Clown gets a statue, and Bruce Lee gets....hmmmm, lemme see......NOTHING! What Happened!?!?! I'm not even going to make clown jokes, because it's too easy. I understand the world needs to laugh, but c'mon, where and why isn't there a Bruce Lee statue already? Bruce broke so many boundaries besides just those in the martial arts field, it's ridiculous. I really don't understand why the city hasn't already done something about that. Hong Kong already did (respect). Check it. Now how bad ass does that statue look? If you read to the end of the article, even BOSNIA unveiled a statue too!

So, let's recap again. Bosnia and Hong Kong have a Bruce Lee statue and Seattle doesn't. People want a clown statue, but not a Bruce Lee statue. Maybe there is one, and I just don't know about it. Even if there's not one yet, that's ok. I can always go to his grave sight and pay my respects. If you're not from Seattle, yes, Bruce Lee's family buried him here. In Seattle. The place that still doesn't have a statue to honor him. Clown = statue. Bruce Lee = zero statue. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

7 comments:

Kustom Kulture Gallery & Tattoo said...

Sounds like someone should start sculpting! What can they say if a statue mysteriously appears at the gravesite?? SHAZAM! Problem solved.

BTW- I hear tell that the clown actually slapped Bruce around pretty good one day....LOL! Ok, I couldn't even keep a straight face on that.
KK

Augie said...

Ohhhh no. Kung Fu clowns? A roundhouse to tha head with big rubber shoes does sounds lethal. Surprised it hasn't been done yet.

=shane white= said...

Invincible Scratch Dragon!!!

Wow...my favorite, I think.

=s=

plastic bandido said...

Yo dude! Badass series of paintings!
You're gonna love this newsbit...
a while back they had a contest to design a statue of Bruce Lee. Similar material to the one of Jimmy Hendrix on Broadway. Think it's been a years since... so hopefully, they'll be unveiling it sometime in the near future!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Nice stuff. I found a cool news widget for our blogs at www.widgetmate.com. Now I can show the latest news on my blog. Worked like a breeze.

Membloggy said...

Man, we do need a statue of Master Bruce! We need to take it to the streets Electric Boogaloo 2 style...
The dragon piece is TIIIGHT...
I am glad the rant is positive too BTW..I assumed the worst.Instead, I just want to take Mayor Nickels and dimes and make him watch Enter the Dragon, til he gets it.If not, my one inch punch will show him what for...
GONNNNGGGGG!

Augie said...

Holy crap Mem, that's funny. The one inch punch indeed. Be like the water my friend, be like the water.