Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Rat City Rollergirl poster

Been dying to post this latest piece off the drawing board. Got asked to do the Rat City Roller Girls poster awhile back. Had a blast doing this one. I'm dying to go the bout too. Never been to one, and can only remember actually watching it as a kid on the old Wide World of Sports (Howard Cosell era, thank you very much). I think there might have been a roller derby, Happy Days episode back in the day, too. Anyways...........

They asked for a Tiki themed poster. The only thing I didn't realize was that the "tiki sound" from that Brady Bunch Hawaii, two part special, would be ringing in my head the whole time I was drawing it.

Almost forgot. There's a black and white version of the poster in the Stranger this week. Go yoink one from your local "whatever place that has it" near you.


After drawing all the little sketches below, I sketched up the rough sketch above.


Not sure if you can make heads or tales of all these little preliminary roughs, but that's pretty much where the initial poster ideas were worked out, before it went to the final colored stage. I'm a slut for art books and love seeing the early rough sketches, so I thought I'd post a few here. Enjoy.

Oh , yeah, and this time, the website is really, really , really, really close to getting finished. No.....for real. I swear. No jokes. Just been slacking.........but not anymore. Stay tuned suckas!

5 comments:

geenpool said...

doode!! me likey...and i LOVE seeing developmental drawin's...you rock!!

Augie said...

Coolness. I'll try and post more stuff like that in the future.

Dirty Little Secret said...

This is the best poster we have had all season.....all eternity for that matter. Thank you SO much!

Anonymous said...

Augie, I saw this in the paper the other day and thought it looked like your style but, I couldn't put my finger on it until I looked up T.K.'s Blog site to get to yours. Good job man, looks like you had fun in Sweden as well, I to like the Cuban's brother. Maybe I'll see you around. -Troy

Mr. Popular said...

This is some of my all-time favorite derby artwork.