Thursday, April 02, 2009

Gallery 1988's 5 Year Anniversary Show/ "Idiot Box"

What? Two posts in one day? No, you're not at the wrong blog. Seems to be a few anniversary shows going on, and Gallery 1988 is pulling out all the stops again with their Idiot Box show. 100 artists doing their take on tv shows.

Many tv shows came to mind when it was time to put paint to canvas, but Sanford and Son holds a special place in my heart. It was one of those shows that I would watch with my dad and share in the comedic talents of Redd Foxx. I don't even have to mention that this show, hands down, has the best theme song, ever. (Thank you Quincy Jones.) Also, for those that know my dad, and have heard me tell the stories, it is widely known that his personal collectoin of junk/treasure easily rivaled Fred Sandfords. No joke. I can fill a whole blog post with all the crap, err, stuff that he used to have. (What did happen to that old ice cream truck?) I digress.........



Anway, the composition in the painting is a riff off of that famous photo of Muhammad Ali vs Sonny Liston. I guess I just always wanted to see Fred Sanford take out his rival, Aunt Ester. I had to include some of the cast in the background. The above sketches are studies of Fred's son Lamont, his neighbor Julio, his buddy Ralo, and of course, Grady.



I just came across a link that has all the art in the show. Some really amazing pieces. These shows just keep getting better and better. Check out the art here. The show runs for the month of April and the opening reception is tonight at 7:00.

"Five Across the Lips"
"18x24"
Acrylics on canvas

3 comments:

Rhonda said...

Dang! This is awesome! All is to be loved. I too am a Sanford and Son fan and enjoyed the story of you and your dad watching it, esp. because it was a favorite of my dad's as well. I'd forgotten about Aunt Esther, who could do that? Anyway your art is awesome as always and hilarious premise too. It was great to run into you at the Comic Con!

El Pagano said...

Thanks for the comments Rhonda. Yeah, thanks for coming by the table at comicon and showing us your pages. Great stuff!

El Pagano said...

Thanks for the comments Rhonda. Yeah, thanks for coming by the table at comicon and showing us your pages. Great stuff!