Monday, May 25, 2009

Dr Teeth vs Molly Hatchet


Here's the painting I did for the 2nd Muppet Rawk show. I think like the last Muppet Rawk painting, I tend to lean towards the album covers that were painted by artists that influenced me as a kid. That was half the fun of buying vinyl back in the day. Being able to listen to your favorite band while staring at a huge cover of illustrated art. That was the best. It seems to be something that is lost today in a digital, downloadable world. Oh well. Time for the old man to shut up.


This painting was all acrylics on a 24"x 24" canvas. Title: "Flirting With Homages". If you're not familiar with the Molly Hatchet album that this cover was from (titled "Flirting With Disaster") you've probably seen it and just never knew it was from that album. If you had older sibs or cousins/uncles in the 70's-80's, you probably saw this image hanging on their wall, or you saw it airbrushed on the side of a van. If you're not familiar with the artist that painted said cover.........shame on you.


The artist that did the original painting that was used on the cover is the legendary artist Frank Frazetta. If you haven't heard of him, I'm not sure what to say. I can write up a storm on this blog and tell you all the reasons why he's one of the few artists you can attatch the words "legendary artist" to, or you can just check out the link and go do some homework. In fact, I would insist.


Anyway, had a blast painting this. It was actually fun to disect a Frazetta painting now that I know a little bit more about the process. On that same note, it also made me realize how much more there is to learn. As a kid I remembered there was so much detail in this painting. There totally is, but so much of it is implied with strategically placed shadows. The actual focal point of the painting has all the detail and you can see where he spent most of his time on this particular piece.

Like I said, I can talk all day about Frazetta's work, but I don't want to bore you with things that have already been written far better by others before me. I will confess that this was one of those paintings that I did copy of in high school art class. I went through a box of pencils trying to copy this thing and teach myself how to shade and learn value. I'll have to dig it up when I go back home and take a picture of it so I can post it.

One last thing. If you're in Seattle, don't forget that the Jim Henson exhibit starts this weekend at the EMP and runs through August 16th. Get the details here. Can't wait to check that out.

7 comments:

sac48738 said...

I remember seeing this back in the days in your room haha. funny update.

Ehsan Hajibabaie said...

good

Joe Kresoja said...

RAWKING!

Pop-Monkey said...

I love you with an undying fire for painting this. Muppets + Frazetta = I want to own this.

Great job, man!

El Pagano said...

Thanks for the kind words guys.

-SAC. Wait for the next post. I got pics.

-EHSAN. Glad you like it. You get the record for " First post from furthest country from where I live." Viva la internet!

-JOE. Glad you dig it. Got ta get you in the next show homes.

-Pop Monkey. You're making me blush.

Anonymous said...

great post. I would love to follow you on twitter.

Augie Pagan said...

Funny you should ask that anonymous. http://twitter.com/El_Pagano