Sunday, June 28, 2009

High School Art Flashbacks



I thought I wouldn't get to take pics of this until I went back to Cali to visit the familia. However, a few weeks back, shortly after the previous post, I got a surprise email from my brother Adrian with the attached pics, and an email busting my chops saying the following:
"Hey Gonzo, your slacking! Check out the detail in your first rendering!! " End of email.


As mentioned in the previous post, I did this pencil rendering in my high school art class. Must have been junior or senior year in Mrs. Peter's art class. I don't know any guys in high school that didn't try and attempt to copy a Frazetta or a Derek Riggs EDDIE from Iron Maiden. It was almost a right of passage.


My uncle Art used to come back from his art classes and show me how to add shadows and volume to my dorky superhero drawings by shading them with pencils other than a 2B. They make different pencils other than a 2B for drawing?! (12 year old Augie's brain explodes)

My high school art classes were my chance to attempt what my uncles were doing on a scale that was bigger than my Pee-Chee covers. I remember that they had those big art-o-graph projectors in my high school class, so that you can blow up your image and trace it at any size you wanted (Man. I'm getting flashbacks of HUUUGE pastel renderings of Nagel women on black paper that were always being done by someone in class).

Anyways, I always thought it was cheating somehow to use the projectors, so my stubborn Puerto Rican side talked myself into not using the projectors and just copying it by hand by just eyeballing it. Seems like you would learn more that way, or not. Just took longer I guess.

Highschool art class was the only class I looked forward to. You had all the time in the world to work on stuff. Not like now. Now, as a "grown up" you need to make that time to do personal projects. If you don't, someone else will and you'll get left behind. Make the time kids. Don't be a Gonzo slacker! (Thanks for the pics bro!)

2 comments:

=shanewhite= said...

Dude that is insane. I can't believe how well you did that in high school too.

Makes feel like a chump. I couldn't even copy Kiss Destroyer so instead I'd just sit there and look at it all day.

Until Love Gun came out. All those chicks in the Kiss make-up...oof!

=s=

El Pagano said...

KISS Destroyer? Dude, that was the first vinyl album I bought when I was a kid. It was right around the time KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park came out on tv. Good times.