Sunday, August 16, 2009

Hostel Opening Reception

Last Friday night was the opening reception for the Hostel Art Collective. It was an amazing night with a huge turn out. Huge shout out to Lee, Nancy, Jen, Weirdo, Brian and everyone else that put this together and made it happen. It's great to see a group of people do this for the local art scene, and long over due in this city if you ask me. The hostel will be having a rotating art gallery in the lobby for the downtown art walks, so keep an eye out for that. You can see some videos of the other artist's rooms on their site. There's also a huge list of websites for all the participating artists. Here's the link. http://hostelartcollective.wordpress.com/



Here's are some quick shots as I was finishing up the walls. What was really fun, was hearing people get in heated debates about the images. "She's shooting the evil monkeys!" "No, she's helping the monkeys. They have the same uniforms!" I did have a specific story in mind, but I think I'll let people decipher it on their own. Interpretive storytelling. I love it.

My time was pretty limited. I came on to the project late and had to do it in between side jobs. After sketching out the characters, I'd say it took three days to do the space chick, and two days to do the chimps. Lots of long hours and paint fumes. I pretty much used the same approach as I do with smaller paintings, just on a bigger scale. Still used acrylics for the finish, but for a lot of the big areas, spray cans came in handy for large coverage and loose sketching. After that it was just tightening everything up with brushes.







One thing that I wasn't expecting was that a lot of people that rolled through the room started taking pictures with the ray gun shooting chimp. Interactive art. Gotta love it. Thanks for the pic Gerrie!








I had to get a pic of this guy's shirt when he rolled through the room. Being a huge Clint fan, I was floored by this bad ass custom drawn shirt. Someone just went right on the shirt with a sharpie and sketched this out for him. I'm jealous Cameron. Very cool.


Another image in the room that people were taking pictures with was the slobbering eyeball. My not so subtle nod to the Star Wars trash compactor scene. Thanks for the pic Dani. All she needs is two hair buns on either side of her head and the scene is complete.


Anyway, really really great night. I'm hoping to get more links and pics to share. I'll throw those up on here when I get them. One interesting thing about the building, and the neighborhood it's in, is that it used to be a place for movie studios to distribute, market, and screen movies. Belltown used to be called movie row, and Pramount and MGM used to have offices in some of the buildings down there. That's why the bar across the street, the Reindvous, has that screening room. That's also why some of those buildings down there have the art deco style architecture, so that it echoes the Paramount and MGM studios. A guy that does tours in the neigborhood filled me in on that. The things you learn when you actually leave your house.

Sorry to side track, but I thought that was some intersting history. Thanks to everyone that stopped by to check out the room, and big thanks again for everyone that put this together. I'm hopeing to do a joint show with one of the other artists from the hostel in the future, so stay tuned for more info on that. Until then, keep an eye out for more future shows on their website.

http://hostelartcollective.wordpress.com/

5 comments:

=shanewhite= said...

WOw...dude...that looks cool as hell.

=s=

Joe Kresoja said...

BADASS!

Gerald said...

Whoa! Just cool as hell! The tenticle textures are the best!!!

Rita said...

Great animation dude, its looks real. Have a great future.

Rita


Cash Online Get Easy cash at your door step

El Pagano said...

Thanks for the comments guys. Painting big = Good times.