Friday, September 18, 2009

The Chimp Pool


Well, here's how the final poster came out for the show. To see the original poster and all the details for Gallery 1988's "Now Playing" show, check the last post.

Ultimately, the concept for this collab poster turned into this: What if they did one more Dirty Harry movie, and ended up using Clyde, from 'Any Which Way But Loose', as Harry's partner? It would be the ultimate Cop/Buddy flick.

Also, not sure if you can see it, but in the credits I added a cheesy tag line that says, "This DIRTY HARRY just got HAIRIER!


Of course Scorpio, from the first Dirty Harry would come back from the dead and start killing chimps, instead of people. The writing scrawled next to his face in the above pic is taken right from the note he wrote in the first movie. I just added monkey names in the note in place of the people he was threatening to kill.





It seemed pretty fitting to jam on a movie poster that takes place in San Francisco, which is the same city, of the gallery, that is hosting the show tonight.

Anyway, this was a really fun group show to be a part of. They already have all the movie poster entries from the artists online. Here's the linkage.

7 comments:

memodiazart said...

"Now you gotta ask yerself...Does my monkey punch with his left or his right? Well,does he, punk?

This came out great, Aug!
I like how the inspiration came in and gave this poster some much needed tongue in cheek....

El Pagano said...

Hahaha! That's brilliant Mem.

Dirty harry: "This is a four foot tall two hundred pound orangutan. The most powerful and largest tree dwelling animal in the world, and he will rip your head clean off."

Robber: "I gots to know."

Anonymous said...

What's with the primate fetish?2nd painting with one.

El Pagano said...

Fetish? No. Maybe reverting back to primal instincts.

Speaking of damn dirty apes:

http://tinyurl.com/yeqk7hb
http://tinyurl.com/yd369p7
http://tinyurl.com/ydx35mk

Anonymous said...

Had the same question as the first Anonymous but you answered it. Since you're reverting back to primal instincts, does that mean you'll look like a monkey and smell like one too?

El Pagano said...

Hey, Anonymous #2. I already do look and smell like one. Where have you been? Oh yeah, and I throw my own poop around my art studio when I run out of paint. When I'm really bored, I pull out a tall rectangular canvas that I painted black, put on the soundtrack to 2001 Space Odyssey, and do the angry monkey dance. Did I miss anything?

Speaking of reverting back to primal instincts, this linkage goes out to both of you.

http://tinyurl.com/ykvle54

Anonymous said...

Me thinks I'd like to buy this painting. Can I pay in bananas?