Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Pop-Culture's Beast of Revelation



Just thought I'd post the full image of the painting that was used for the Upper Playground flyer for next week's show. In case you're not a total geek (count yourself lucky) and you don't recognize all the monster heads on the beast, here they are from right to left.

1. Star Trek Gorn
2. Tuan-Taun from Empire Strikes Back
3.& 4. Dragon and Cyclops from The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad
5. One of the Ghidora heads from Godzilla.
6. The Mugato from classic Trek series.
7. The Terror Dogs from Ghostbusters.

Anyway the image is inspired from a description of a beast in the Bible. I'm not religious, but I was exposed enough to it to be familiar with this passage.

Rev 13:1

And the dragon stood on the shore of the sea. And I saw a beast coming out of the sea. He had ten horns and seven heads, with ten crowns on his horns, and on each head a blasphemous name...


Imagine seeing a picture of that as a kid and then asking your mom what blasphemous means. That will mess with your head a bit when you're four years old.

Would the emergence of a Pop-Culture Beast signify the end of pop-culture as we know it? I hope not. Pop culture is my religion, and I hope it doesn't implode in my lifetime. Join me next week as I build an ark and fill it with two copies of all of my comics.

Anyway, more updates on the show coming soon......

No comments: