Monday, March 07, 2011

Hellboy

As mentioned in the previous post, I brought this Hellboy painting out to the Emerald Con last weekend. This piece will be hanging in Tasty's Heroes, Vixens, and Villians art exhibit this Friday in Greenwood. I originally started this piece for my High School art teacher, Mrs. Peters. She has a local tv show back in Gilroy that showcases artists doing their craft, where she talks to the artists about the process. With such a crazy schedule the last few months, and getting ready for the con, I figured I would use the finished piece in the Tasty show.





There wasn't time to finish the painting for the show, so I shipped the painting back to Seattle to finish it in the studio and get it ready for the show.

The show was shot in Carol's art studio. I also got to paint with an old friend from high school, Jimmy Berta, who is also Carol's son. Had a blast catching up and painting with him. Just like old high school days.

You can see the color comp I was working from in the above pic (colored in photoshop), as well as the tight pencil sketch I was using for reference below.



As soon as I get word that the show is done, I'll send around the link for the online version. I'll be attending the tasty art show this Friday night, so, hope to see some of you there.

7 comments:

Megan Belcher said...

Holy shit! It's so nice to see one of my favorite characters get the treatment he deserves.

Augie Pagan said...

Ha! Thanks. Just wish I could have done him bigger.

Megan Belcher said...

Do you like Mignola's other work? "The Amazing Screw-On Head" is fantastic... the animation too!

Augie Pagan said...

Oh, I'm a huge Mignola fan. Even pre Hellboy. The Screw-On head animation was the closest thing I've seen that looks just like the comic. Great stuff.

Megan Belcher said...

Yes! Paul Giamatti was brilliant as usual, but Emperor Zombie stole the show... I'M SO EXCITED I JUST MADE WATER IN MY PANTALOONS! Sheer genius.

Dylan p.w. said...

Dude, your technique is getting so sick. every time I see something new, I feel like it's sharper and more cohesive, more vivid. (not that it was ever not those things.) mad props!!!! I'm constantly impressed.

(p.s. i never figured out what happened to those art jam works I did... probably painted over by now. who's got em?)

Augie Pagan said...

-Dylan, Thanks,man. I actually still have the paintings. Just have to dig them out, and bring them with me next time I'm in the hood. I'll text ya next time I can bring them down.