Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Anatomy of a Six Foot Animal Painting


Until I can find a place that does big scans, these camera shots of the final 3'x 6' "Animal Unleashed" painting will have to do. You can read up on the original idea for this Riggs/Muppet mash-up on this earlier post from the Flatcolor show that's up this month. 


 I don't normally like to post these working sketches because they're not sexy completed looking drawings. The above sketch is just an example of the raw drawing I did in photoshop and transferred to the canvas.

 When there's time, I like to do value and color studies before going to the canvas. The lighting in this one is pretty straight forward, nothing fancy, and we already know Animal's palette, so I just kind of figure it out on the canvas as I go, for better or worse. 




 Had to take this canvas outside to slap on the bigger areas of color. After that, back into the studio to finish it up.



Only posted this above pic because I like dorking out on pictures of other artists and what was going on in their palette at the time. The "road map" as some artists like to say.







 Anyway, those were the only good pics, as it's even harder to get good ones with a big canvas and bad lighting. I did find a few decent process shots of the Pam Grier paintings. Will post those later this week. Until then, going to go catch up on all the art books I missed out on in the last few months.
See you in a few...........



7 comments:

Rhonda said...

This is so darned cool Augie!! I love it. Dang!

Augie Pagan said...

Thanks Rhonda! Glad to hear you're enjoying the process shots.

Stevie Caballero said...

Augie,
I've been following (lurking on) your art blog for some time now and i'd just have to say that your work truly inspires me to no end! I love the way you use colors and lighting, and i especially love your step by step process procedures of your work, love it! thanks for sharing those and they are really helping me develop my own skills as an artist as well, so thank you:)
blessings and best wishes,
cab

Augie Pagan said...

Steve,
Your comment is much appreciated. Glad you're getting something out of the step-by steps. I love step by step stuff on other blogs, so I try and do it here when I have time. Nice to hear that people are actually tuning in. I'll try and post more in the future.

Stevie Caballero said...

Augie,
I had a couple of questions?
That dark brown color you use to sketch out your painting first onto the canvas, is that done with a brush or a pen? and what color is that exactly?
and do you use the same color to do the light wash onto it afterwards?
thanks for your time,
cab

Augie Pagan said...

Steve,

The under drawings are all sketched out with a brush. I use a these FW acrylic inks for that stage. http://www.dickblick.com/products/daler-rowney-fw-acrylic-water-resistant-artists-ink/

That's usually a burnt umber color. The FW's dry nice and quick. I might add a bit of water with that for some smaller areas and throw in some values here and there, but the bigger areas of tone are washes of Golden Acrylic burnt sienna that I throw on after the FW ink stage.

However, sometimes I'll throw down a wash of the Golden Acrylic burnt sienna (or a similar hue) first, to cover the white of the canvas, transfer the drawing on top of that wash, and then sketch in my drawing with the FW's over that transferred sketch.

Hope that makes sense.

Stevie Caballero said...

Augie,
makes total sense, thank for the huge tips:)
I've never used these FW acrylic inks or Golden acrylic paints before, excited to try them out!
best wishes and thanks again,
cab