Friday, July 13, 2012

Painting Giants


Title: "The Cosmic Giant"
Size: 16" x 20"
Medium: Acrylics on canvas

Here's a new painting for tonight's "Between Heaven and Hellboy" group show at Urban Light Studios in Greenwood.

The group show is comic booked themed and the painting depicts one of Jack Kirby's Marvel characters, Galactus. The painting itself is based off of N.C. Wyeth's painting entitled "The Giant."

If you're not familiar with Wyeth's work, it's worth sitting down and doing some homework. He was a student of Howard Pyle and he illustrated tons of classic novels. If you get a chance, it's also worth a trek out to the Brandywine Museum to see his originals that also hang with a few other generations of Wyeths.

I wish I had just as much info on seeing Jack Kirby's work. I don't think the general audience realizes how influential Kirby was/is in the comics field. The list of characters he's had a hand in creating is ridiculous. He had a hand in the creation of every Marvel character that's had a movie out except for Spidey. Your best bet on seeing some of his originals is probably going to a big comic con like San Diego Con. It's a shame there isn't some kind of exhibit dedicated to his work, especially with all the attention the Marvel movies (with his characters) have been getting. As Indy would say, his work belongs in a museum, just as much as Wyeth's.
-End of rant.

Anyway, since I'm missing San Diego con this year, I'm hoping to see some costumes come out tonight at the opening. See ya there!

4 comments:

Frank J said...

That's fantastic work.
A great tribute to both Wyeth & Kirby.
(Not to mention one kick-ass Galactus)

ardasule said...

I can't tell you how much my heart swelled looking at this. I grew up in Chadds Ford about a mile from Andrew Wyeth's house and I've seen the piece you reference many times. An amazing tribute (although I think you'd also do a fantastic riff on Blind Pew :) .

ardasule said...

I can't tell you how much my heart swelled looking at this. I grew up in Chadds Ford about a mile from Andrew Wyeth's house and I've seen the piece you reference many times. An amazing tribute (although I think you'd also do a fantastic riff on Blind Pew :) .

Augie Pagan said...

Ardasule, glad you dig it. Blind Pew would be a good one!